9.00 Registration and coffee
9.30 Welcome and introduction
- Professor Anand Menon, Director, UK in a Changing Europe
- Theo Rycroft – Head of the EU Exit Strategy Department in the FCO
- Professor Anand Menon, Director, UK in a Changing Europe (chair)
10:45 What Transition Deal?
This would include what a transition deal should/would look like and what will the UK be transitioning to.
- Iain Begg, The UK in a Changing Europe
- Henry Newman, Open Europe
- John Springford, Centre for European Reform
- Iana Dreyer, Borderlex (chair)
12:45 Economic effects of Brexit
Discussion of evidence on implications of alternative scenarios and how the economic consequences might play out over time and across different industries/regions.
- Philip McCann, University of Sheffield Management School
- Alison McGovern, MP for Wirral South
- Thomas Sampson, The UK in a Changing Europe
- Chair: Evan Davis, Newsnight
13:45 Which trade barriers matter for the UK?
What types of trade barriers are most important for UK firms with an eye to shedding light on priorities for future trade negotiations
- Swati Dhingra, The UK in a Changing Europe
- Martin Donnelly, formerly Department for International Trade
- Chair: Soumaya Keynes, The Economist
15:00 Keynote Debate
- Ian Dunt, Editor, Politics.co.uk
- David Blake, Cass Business School and Economists for Free Trade
- Meredith Crowley, Research Leader, UK in Changing Europe & University of Cambridge (chair)
16.00 Deals with non-EU countries
What should be the priorities? How will negotiations with non-EU countries be linked to negotiations with the EU? Can deals with other countries offset lost trade with the EU?
- Meredith Crowley, The UK in a Changing Europe
- Julian Jessop, Institute of Economic Affairs
- Alan Winters, Sussex University
- Chair: Chris Giles, Financial Times
Please click here to register.View all events